Thursday, July 14, 2011

Bye Bye Binkie

July 11, 2011 was a huge day for Ava.  She finally gave up her last two binkies!  She has had one since she was a new born.  Every single nap and bed time always included her most beloved binkie.  We never thought we would be able to give it up. (And when I say we, that includes me!)  The binkie was definitely a life saver for car rides, meltdowns, and most importantly SLEEP!  If Ava had her binkie, she could put herself to sleep which let me SLEEP! 

But alas, Ava is now 3 years old and we had to get rid of it somehow.  We started off slow by telling her for a few months that she will one day have to give her binkies away to a baby.  She was appalled at the horrible idea.  What kind of mommy am I? Taking away her most precious comforter.  So after many many discussions about  giving away her last two binkies, (she went back and forth on who she would give her most prized possessions to) she decided to give them to one of her very best friend's little baby sister Betsy.  Ava decorated  an envelope and wrote Betsy's name on it (i drew dotted letters so she could just trace them).  She said her good-byes to her binkies and sealed them in the envelope.  She later delivered this special delivery to Betsy's mom at the park.  Thanks Shandra for taking those for us.  I hope you didn't look inside... those binkies were pretty gross! haha 




look at how she just admires it hahaha!



After 3 years of binkie bliss... Good Bye Binkies!  It's been fun...  Oh, and Ava has been sleeping and surviving just fine without them! and I'm surviving too, thank goodness!!! 

3 comments:

Shandra said...

Way to go Vava! That is a huge step for her! And that was so sweet of her to give them to little Betsy. Make sure you let her know that Betsy is loving them. :)

Krisann said...

Ann! You are so beautiful! And so is Ava! Congrats on teaching her how to let go of the binkie! I'm in the process of helping my girls to stop sucking their thumbs-- but I don't think it'll go as smoothly as your binkie bye byes. Hope you are well! Miss you!

cassidy said...

Ann I just saw your blog through Shandra's. Your family picture at the top is gorgeous! That's awesome that Ava gave up the binkies...Truman is hooked on them too, and I don't see him getting rid of them any time soon. But this gives me hope!